To visit the Duomo of Florence: symbol and center of the city
The Duomo of Florence is the Cathedral of Santa Maria del Fiore that overlooks the square, true center of the city. The Duomo dominates Florence with the inimitable Brunelleschi’s Dome, the largest masonry dome ever built. The Brunelleschi Hotel is a few steps from the Cathedral and it offers comfortable rooms and suites with views over the Brunelleschi’s Dome, the Giotto’s Bell Tower and the Duomo.
The Duomo of Florence and its history
The beginning of the Duomo’s construction dates back to 1296 by Arnolfo di Cambio, in the spot where stood the church of Santa Reparata (dating from the fourth century and the ruins are located in the crypt of the Cathedral). It took 140 years to finish the works, in 1436. It was consecrated in the Florentine New Year’s Day (25 March 1436) by Pope Eugene IV. The façade of the Cathedral dates from the same period but was built in neo-Gothic style between 1871 and 1887.
Do not miss: the frescoes inside the Duomo as the Last Judgement by Vasari, the panorama that can be admired from the top of the Cathedral and the Giotto’s Bell Tower.
Duomo of Florence opening hours and tickets:
– Everyday: from 10.00 to 17.00
The entrance to the Florence Cathedral is free. The entrance is on the left of the front door.
To access instead to the Brunelleschi’s Dome, to the Giotto’s bell tower and to the crypt of the cathedral there is a combined ticket of € 15.00 which also includes access to the Baptistery of San Giovanni and to the Museo dell’Opera del Duomo.
Brunelleschi’s Dome, passion, history, culture
The Brunelleschi’s Dome has always been one of the most popular, loved and photographed symbols of the entire territory of Florence. A true emblem of the city’s cultural and artistic greatness. The Brunelleschi’s Dome is the coverage of the cruise of the Duomo of Florence and, at the same time, the largest masonry Dome ever built, formed by two spherical vaults placed one on top of the other, the internal one more than two meters thick and the external one just 80 centimeters. The Brunelleschi’s Dome in Florence stands in one of the most fascinating place of the entire Italy, in the lovely Piazza del Duomo among buildings of staggering historical wealth, such as the Cathedral of Santa Maria del Fiore, Giotto’s Bell Tower, the Museo dell’Opera del Duomo, the Palazzo Strozzi and the Canons. The delightful Brunelleschi, the 4-star hotel is located right behind it, in a privileged position.
Brunelleschi’s Dome history
The construction of the Brunelleschi’s Dome was opened on August 7th, 1420 and assigned to the two most talented artists of that period: Filippo Brunelleschi and Lorenzo Ghiberti, the latter ousted five years later. The work was officially completed on August 1st, 1436 with the solemn blessing of Pope Eugenius IV. The yard work resumed during 1446 for the construction of the lantern, always entrusted to Brunelleschi, replaced after his death by his friend and follower Michelozzo di Bartolomeo. The work was finished after four decades by Antonio Manetti during April 1461, and changed forever the landscape of the city, giving the world a masterpiece of absolute greatness, witnessed of the great genius of Italian art and of its architecture school.
The Brunelleschi’s Dome is based on an octagonal drum and it is divided into eight segments or sails. It was built with a revolutionary technique, called to support the enormous weight of 25,000 tons and was definitely inspired by the Dome of the Baptistery. The decorative work began during 1572 and were first conducted by Vasari and then by Federico Zuccaro. The latter was the author, in a few years, of the immense figurative cycle in tempera, one of the largest in the world. The 4-star Hotel Brunelleschi in Florence center, was established in honor of the Brunelleschi’s Dome, symbol of world art, visible in all its grandeur from the windows of the hotel rooms.
Brunelleschi’s Dome opening hours
The Brunelleschi’s Dome is open daily from 8.30 to 18.20.
A combined ticket is available to visit the Basilica of Santa Croce, the Opera del Duomo Museum and the Baptistery of San Giovanni and can only be booked online and costs € 15.00. For children under 15 the cost is € 9.00.
Tickets for Brunelleschi’s Dome and Giotto’s Bell Tower can be purchased separately and individually from the official website of the Opera del Duomo>
The times of access to the monuments are subject to changes in time due to extraordinary events.
The museum will be closed on the first Tuesday of each month.
Brunelleschi’s Dome information
- Entry via the Porta della Mandorla (north side of the cathedral)
- No ticket office at the entrance
- Visitors are required to climb 463 steps
- No lifts (elevators) are available
- The climb is not recommended for people suffering from heart problems, vertigo or claustrophobia
- Reservation reccomanded
The Florence Cathedral seen from the Brunelleschi Hotel
What will surprise you most of our rooms and suites is the proximity of the Brunelleschi’s Dome and the Cathedral from your windows. In particular, we suggest the Duomo Suite, decorated in red shades, with four-poster bed, a marble bathroom and, above all, a direct view of the Brunelleschi’s Dome and the Pagliazza Tower Suite which is housed inside the Pagliazza Tower: a journey through history, an immersion among comfort, relax and the pleasure of being in the heart of one of the most beautiful cities in the world.
For information and reservations you can contact us by email at email@example.com, by phone at +39.055.27370 or contact us. We will answer as soon as possible.
Do not miss a visit to the Florence Cathedral. See you there!