An exclusive experience in Florence dedicated to all music lovers in a unique and special context such as that of the Teatro del Maggio Musicale Fiorentino.
The Teatro del Maggio is the permanent home of the Orchestra and Choir of the Maggio Musicale Fiorentino as well as the main venue of the oldest annual music festival in Italy and among the most important in Europe, together with Salzburg and Bayreuth.
The experience with the Teatro del Maggio will lead you to discover its historical origins and those of the Maggio Musicale Fiorentino Festival in an extraordinary location where you can find Theatre, Historical Archive, Music Archive and Tailoring in the same place.
All customers of the Brunelleschi Hotel have access to personalized services that allow them to better enjoy participation in concerts, operas and events inside the Teatro del Maggio and spend a special afternoon and evening letting themselves be carried away by the fascinating world of classical music :
- reserved aperitif at the theatre bar with the skip-the-line option during the breaks of the shows;
- listening guide to more appreciate the evening, it is possible to participate in a presentation of the show one hour before the doors open to the public with a dedicated speaker in the gallery foyer or in a private room, also available in languages other than Italian ;
- tour of the secret places of the theatre to find out where and how the shows are born (stage, music archive, tailoring, dressing rooms, orchestra rehearsal room, choir rehearsal room);
- Exclusive guided tour of the historical archive which includes 13,000 sketches, over 50 scenic models, 40,000 scene photographs, posters, memorabilia, films, recordings, historical printed editions. Among the documents on display, Gioacchino Rossini’s autograph with musical dedication to the Florentine Philharmonic Society of 1854, the viola that belonged to maestro Giulini, the stage costumes donated by Renata Tebaldi, Ebe Stignani and Karl Lagerfeld and much more.
For more information and reservations, you can contact our concierge at: email@example.com or on 055 27370.
Maggio Musicale Fiorentino program 2022
The rich updated program of the Teatro del Maggio is available on the official website of the theatre and it is divided into different categories:
- Opera Season (on the Maggiofiorentino.com site)>
- Symphonic Season (on the Maggiofiorentino.com site)>
- Il Maggio dei Ragazzi (on the Maggiofiorentino.com website)>
- Tour (on the Maggiofiorentino.com website)>
- Maggio Metropolitano (on the Maggiofiorentino.com website)>
Useful information to better enjoy the experience with the Teatro del Maggio
The Teatro del Maggio is in the centre, close to the old city walls, next to the historic Stazione Leopolda. The garden that welcomes visitors is Piazzale Vittorio Gui, named after the founder of the Stabile Orchestrale Fiorentina and the Maggio Musicale Fiorentino.
For bicycles and motorcycles> it is possible to park in the dedicated areas of the Teatro del Maggio;
For cars> it is possible to park near the Cascine Park or for a fee in the Porta al Prato car park (Via Elio Gabbuggiani, 7) and in the Piazza Vittorio Veneto car park. The Theatre is located outside the ZTL of the historic centre;
For the disabled> reserved parking spaces in the area closest to the entrance to the Theatre.
The Theatre bar is located in the foyer and offers different types of aperitifs before shows and during breaks.
The ticket office of the Teatro del Maggio is open:
– From Tuesday to Friday: 11-13 / 15-18;
– Saturday: 11-14;
– From two hours before the shows.
If the ticket is purchased online, you can show it from your mobile device (smartphone or tablet) or print it yourself and go directly to the entrances of the Theatre.
History of the Teatro del Maggio Musicale Fiorentino
The Teatro del Maggio owes its name to the Maggio Musicale Festival. In 1928, the Stabile Orchestrale Fiorentina was born and 1933 was the birth year of the Maggio Musicale Fiorentino Festival which quickly established itself as a nerve centre for the dissemination of European musical culture and attracted the most important names in musical entertainment, conductors, directors and artists.
In the past, the artists performed on the stage of the Municipal Theatre and only from 2014, with the inauguration of the Teatro del Maggio both the shows of the Festival (more or less held in spring and early summer) and the opera, symphonic and concert seasons distributed throughout the year take place on the new stage.
Theatre architect of the Maggio Musicale Fiorentino
The theatre, one of the most modern in Europe, it was designed by the architect Paolo Desideri and inaugurated in 2014.
It consists of three large rooms: the 1800-seat opera house, distributed among stalls, boxes and gallery, an open-air cavea with 2000 seats and finally an auditorium, not yet completed, which can vary its capacity from 500 to 1000 spectators.
The materials and colours of the Renaissance meet at the Teatro del Maggio to celebrate music and melodrama: the white marble veined with green of the Baptistery of San Giovanni, the terracotta of the dome of Santa Maria del Fiore and the gold of the precious paintings of the museums from Florence.
Photo credits: Teatro del Maggio
A special thanks to Dr. Andrea Cortelazzi.